Thursday 8 February 2007

i'm opening gates



except... i built myself a PC about 3 years ago and it's never crashed, blue-screened or lost any data. ever.

and it's never caught a virus either.

and it still runs at perfectly acceptable speeds even though its got 60-gig of music and 40-gig of video on it.

and i use it for gaming (sometimes).

and i can really easily upgrade it all by myself.

and it looks pretty: brushed steel, with blue neon lights.

and it costed a quarter of the price of a mac.

and it connects with my windows powered phone so i can sit on the horrible horrible london underground and watch movies.

and mac users are all excited about running windows now, and when you suggest "i thought os-x was the best," they look a little sheepish and avoid further conversation.

and i get two mouse buttons.

the often hilarious charlie brooker makes a well-informed and unbiased judgement (sort of). and i can't help being swayed slightly by his points.

okay, so i do have apple iPods, a shuffle and an 80-gb video. but that's just because they're awesome and, yes, iTunes is infinitely better than media player.

and i've never had a mac bugger up on me during a show at work (nb. don't use hewlett packard laptops for professional level productions).

okay, i like macs.

but i still like my pc.

so shut-up.

1 comment:

wide-eyed said...

Dude you're my best friend and I love you but if you'll allow me to respond on behalf of Mac owners ...

Where to start ...? Right, anyone who owns a Mac knows that the design is merely the icing on the cake. Yes, the computers look better than any PC ever built and the software (purely on an aesthetic level) makes you wonder why anyone would ever want to use Windows again. But it's the utility of a Mac, not its looks, that win it the biggest fans.

The other day I edited a film on my Powerbook while streaming music to my stereo, uploading to YouTube and designing on Adobe illustrator. All at the same time. The next morning my work PC crashed because I tried loading Word and Outlook at the same time. Seriously, the user experience is in a different league.

People generally use PCs because they are ubiquitous and they don't know any better. Like people eat Big Macs because they've never been to the Gourmet Burger Kitchen. I don't include you in this group because I've eaten in GBK with you many times and equally I know you've chosen the PC well aware of your alternatives. And I'm glad you've have no problems with your PC but that's not the case for me. Every PC I've ever had has been a nightmare of viruses (and later) spyware. Not to mention lightning quick obsolescence, incompatibility and programme corruption. I just never want to go through that again.

I'll make the rest of my points brief as they relate to Charlie Brooker's article rather than your blog. (Bear with me, I just have to get this out.)

- Saying you think PCs are great because you have to struggle with them to get them to work is a nonsense. Intimating that you're 'a real man' if you can tame a PC is laughable. I'd much prefer to enjoy using my computer than spend hours trying to open up a listening port for Azureus. And Mr Brooker, only computer nerds think customising 'ramshakle PCs' is sexy, the rest of us couldn't care less. And labelling a hardware platform bound up with the po-faced, charisma black hole of Microsoft 'charming' is nothing short of delusional.

- PC games are only cutting edge if you like MMORPGs ie. if you still live with your mum. I use an 360 and Wii to play games, a Mac to write, edit and design stuff and a PC because my organisation says I have to.

- No Mac owner is excited about running Windows. None of us.

- A Mac has three mouse buttons now. Seriously, we've had three mouse buttons for over a year. Although I guess this proves Mr Brooker hasn't used a Mac in the last year.

- Judged by the style of his writing - Charlie Brooker lambasting a product for being smug is like Hitler dissing Mel Gibson for being anti-Semitic.

I have more, dearest Jonny, but I hate it when things written on a website are misconstrued and the tone is misjudged. Suffice to say I respect your opinion but wanted to voice my own and to underline the point that I bought a Mac without any kind of marketing campaign swaying my opinion. I bought a Mac based simply on the fact that I enjoyed the experience of using one.

And if you want to suggest to me 'I though os-x was the best' I'll gladly have a conversation with you about it for as long as you want. I promise I won’t change the subject on you.

Yay!