Friday 22 May 2009

crank

So the fixed gear bike project has begun in earnest. I'm definitely past the point of no return in terms of the components I've bought. And I am totally aware of the fact that it's certainly based on the heart getting in the way of the head; obsessive behaviour instead of rationalism.

"i'm building a bike"

"but you have a bike"

"yes"

I'll plot you a more detailed course and a bit of a catch up at a later time (one when I'm not doing it from my phone in a secluded room in Bank Towers). I'll be able to put pictures up as well.

For now, though, I'll tell you I've got to a point where I can pretty much tell what the finished product will look like, and I have a bunch of stuff that will help make it happen:
- a 40 year old british-made steel frame with good looking lugs and unusual but interesting stays.
- classic drop handlebars.
- a brand new set of deep-v wheels including a flip-flop rear hub.
- a shiny new 5 point crank set

.. which is a good start.

However what is not a good start is:
- the beautiful titanium stem which was not the size the ebay said it was. So is now an unusable beautiful titanium stem.
- the bottom bracket that came with the frame, which is jammed in to incurable tightness... but a completely weird size that doesn't quite fit the cranks on neatly. Yet.
- the frame is 40 years old, so it has some weird dimensions.

So I have a load of components, and I have to somehow link them all together in a way that prevents my face hitting a road the first time I reach 30mph. It's a complete blind-leading-the-blind situation. I have no idea what I'm doing. But I'm bloody enjoying it.

I've made a picture of what it'll approximately look like when its done. I'll put that up just as soon as I get near a laptop. In the time being... adieu and happy pedalling.

No comments: